Unfortunately, it seems that there’s never a dull moment. And by that I mean my Unity project for Monochrome has crashed and displays over 400 errors. I honestly have no idea why it happened, but I noticed that all of the .meta files were missing from my project. I’ve been working diligently with Daye to recover as much as I can, but the bigger problem seems to be the incredibly long load times.
For example, it took over 30 minutes just to load the Unity project, only for a bunch of errors to display in the console, and then for the project to immediately crash.
Here’s an example of one of the many errors that I’ve encountered with the project. The number of errors seem to fluctuate and don’t seem to be dependent on any one direct thing.
At the moment I am working on duplicating the files that I’ve worked on, then cloning the Monochrome repository, but this seems to be taking a very long time. Hopefully I can get this issue resolved soon and that nothing too important was messed with.
As I continue my work with bug testing SNAK3 to prepare to work on the game, I noticed another bug in both Level 1 and Level 2. The bug occurs when you have a follower, then go through one of the spikes that damages the player, but the damage kills the follower. I noticed multiple times that after losing my follower, and attempting to change direction, the player gets stuck and the character begins to shake rapidly. At this point you can no longer move, and have to restart the level.
The picture provided shows a screenshot from Level 2, where I noticed this bug. I was heading left in the direction of the blue arrow, went through the spike and lost my follower, then attempted to go down by pressing “S”. My character then stopped in the marked boundary, and shook rapidly until I restarted the level. From what I’ve seen so far there seems to be a radius of where this can occur, and I’m wondering whether it’s an issue with the hit box.
Plans for Next Week
My plans for the upcoming week include continuing to do whatever I can to try and recover my Unity project, as well as continue documentation on my progress thus far. In addition, I am not sure when I will start working with SNAK3, so I will continue to familiarize myself with the game. I’m planning to do more bug testing and mark down any issues I find.
This Week's Media
This week’s piece of media is a really interesting video discussing the speedrunning community and the attempt to perfect the run for the original Super Mario Bros. game for the NES. I’m not really into speedrunning games myself, but I find it very interesting to watch all the other runs that people do for a variety of games. It fascinates me how pixel-perfect someone has to be to shave off a fraction of a second, which can make a huge difference in the long run. This video talks about the attempt by the speedrunning community to get as close as possible to the “perfect” run, which was done through a tool-assisted speedrun (TAS), comparing the human limit to that of a computer.